top of page

How to Take that First Required Minimum Distribution from an IRA

If you turned 70½ in 2015, you were required to take your first required minimum distribution from your IRA by April 1, 2016. But do you need to take another RMD by the end of this year?

Kiplinger’s article, “RMD Tips for Retirees Taking Their First Required Minimum Distributions,” explains that, generally speaking, you need to take your required minimum distributions by December 31st every year. However, your first RMD may be delayed until April 1 of the year after the year you turn age 70½, but you have to take a second RMD (the one for age 71) in the same year by December 31st.

If you have to take two RMDs in one year, as many do, it could cause an individual to experience an unexpectedly large taxable income for the year. This could put you into a higher tax bracket and also impact the amount of your Social Security benefits subject to taxes.

Also, note that if your adjusted gross income plus tax-exempt interest income rises above $85,000 if you are single or $170,000 if married and filing jointly, you’ll pay more for Medicare premiums—$170.50 to $389.80 per person each month for Part B premiums and an extra $12.70 to $72.90 per person each month for Part D.

The IRA required minimum distribution you take on April 1st is based on the balance in your traditional IRAs as of December 31, 2014, and the second RMD of the year is based on the balance in your IRAs as of December 31, 2015.

Even so, you can decrease the taxable amount for the current year by making a tax-free transfer to charity of up to $100,000 from your IRA anytime during the year, but it’s too late to make a tax-free transfer for your 2015 RMD. That amount will count as your required minimum distribution for the year, but it isn’t included in your adjusted gross income.

The law allowing for such transfers has been extended permanently. As a result, you don’t need to wait for Congress to approve it at the end of each year before taking action. Speak with your IRA administrator and the charity for more information about how to make the transfer.

0 views0 comments


bottom of page